Alpine Stereo & Parking Brake Bypass

UPDATE:
Ryan Vickerman provides the access code for the diagnostic menu in the Alpine unit, allowing this annoying parking brake feature to be turned off. Here are the steps to access the hidden menu:
  1. Select FM;
  2. Press and hold Direct Tune for 5 seconds;
  3. Press the Menu button (looks like a mosaic);
  4. Press the Star button;
  5. Press the Voice button;
  6. Scroll down to Other;
  7. Toggle Parking to 'On'
Thanks Ryan!


______________________________________

I've found it annoying that I was unable to access the 'Setup' menu or stream HDMI content on my Alpine Stereo (ILX-F309 'Halo') without having the parking brake engaged, so I got one of these 'Bypass Overrides' for $15.  It required 3 simple connections (Remote lead, Parking Brake lead, and Ground), and took about 90 minutes to pull the head unit, identify leads, connect, and reassemble.


The unit itself is about the size of a quarter, shown here in my hand.


Installing this allows you to access the Setup menu and stream HDMI content to your Alpine head unit WITHOUT having to engage the parking brake.



Jul-5-2020

5 comments:

Ryan Vickerman said...

I have the same head unit in my Revel ;-) Turns out that there is a software work-around in the menu...

Go to FM source. Hold direct tune for 5 seconds then press menu then press star then press voice. Scroll down and then parking on.

Wes said...

Do you know of a similar hidden / diagnostic menu for the ILX-W650? It’s a double din head unit very similar to the one you have, but it doesn’t have a star button. It sounds like at least some of the button labels are different as well. Thanks in advance. I appreciate you’ve already shared and what you may yet share about my particular model.

Matthew said...

The procedure for Alpine iLX-702D is:

Select FM;
Press and hold Direct Tune for 5 seconds;
Press the Menu button;
Press the Voice button;
Press the Music Note button;
Scroll down to Other;
Toggle Parking to 'On'

Jim Reardon said...

Would you happen to know the process for the Alpine iLX-650?

Kurt Heath said...

This may or may not be an option for the earlier Alpine head units but non of those are things on the i509-WRA-JK. No “star” so I guess I have to use one of those parking brake bypass thingys to be able to adjust my fad/bal, eq settings, x-over, and time correction while in motion.