Cargo Net in the Garage

My wife and I feel that ‘everything has to have its place’ in a small van, and can’t stand disorganized, jumbled crap rolling around & getting under foot. Since we travel with oddly-shaped exercise equipment (like the yoga mat, below), we needed a simple solution for it. 


As a first approximation, I threw this cargo net solution together very quickly. It was wider than we needed, so it’s doubled over on the right side, but could stretch to the back corner of the van, if needed. 


I wanted any/all mods to be non-destructive, so I used existing screws for the tie-down points for the cargo net. In this case, I bought some ‘1 Hole Strap’ fittings that are used for tying down electrical conduit, and bent them to make them a bit smaller & tighter. 

Just to be clear, I did NOT drill new holes here, I just used existing wood screws that fastened to the cabinetry through the plastic housing. 

This is ugly, but it was the fast, $2 solution that my hardware store had. I’m just CERTAIN that there is a little device that slips over a screw head in order to provide a ring or hook point, but I’ll be damned if I could find anything in my local store. 

Edit: This would be an improvement: https://fasteners.fasnap.com/viewitems/metal-d-rings-hardware/screw-mounted-d-rings


WGO ships the Revel with three screws in the top of the bolster (under the bolster pillow) that are driven into the steel frame. I used these as the anchor points, then attached two chain links and an S-hook. Again, this was the fast, $3 solution to the problem that I found in my limited hardware store. 


Here’s the cargo net that I bought off Amazon for a few dollars. 


Update 2020

I finally followed my own advice and used D-rings throughout the project. I'm not sure if I'll continue to use the black plastic hooks that accompanied the cargo net, or if I'll maybe bend some S-hooks.



3 comments:

Matt Pauli said...

Really like this MOD. I did this on both wheel wells also. Found some sweet black D Rings and purchased the orange version of the cargo nets for contrast. Looking to get some different hooks as I am using the stock hooks now. Travelling with three dogs need place for all the extra soft goods like canopies, tents, ground cover...

Matt Pauli
2018 Revel EdelweiƟ

Unknown said...

What size screws for the D Hooks?

lavenderlime said...

I just reused the screws that Winnebago installed the plastic with, no change.